One of the most influential inventions of all time, the internet, occurred less than 50 years ago. Without the internet we would have no online shopping, no online research, no Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter, no online messaging. The internet gives us access to basically everything in the world. Each and every thing we do on a daily basis is reliant on using the internet. It has helped mankind advance, and simplified our way of life. Now just how big is the internet? What are the 3.2 billion people who make up today’s global internet population doing online? You truly wouldn’t believe the numbers. Let me show you what happens in an internet minute…
Every minute of the day:
- Amazon sees more than 4,310 unique visitors and $133,436 in sales.
- Facebook users share over 3.3 million pieces of content and Like more than 4.1 million posts
- Twitter users tweet 347,222 times
- YouTube users upload 300 hours of video and users watch 138,889 hours of video
- Netflix subscribers stream nearly 80,000 hours of video
- Instagram users like more than 1.7 million photos and there are 38,194 photos uploaded
- Snapchat users share nearly 300,000 snaps
- Pinterest pinners pin nearly 10,000 images
- Apple users download 51,000 apps
- Uber passengers take nearly 700 rides
Every minute of every day, immense amounts of data gets generated as consumers connect to, search for, watch, create, download, and shop for content. A Technological Revolution is not just changing what we do and how we do it – it is changing us, it is changing our lives, and it is changing the way we see the world. Just look at how the internet has altered the notion of privacy. Young people have a completely different understanding of the idea of privacy compared to older generations. Social Media has taught people to post and share just about any form of content they can get there hands on. Don’t blame social media, Facebook has over one billion active users that signed up on their own. One of the biggest things we’ve learned about technology is that it is disruptive. And this disruption can be seen all around us. Technology disrupts entire industries and takes them over. It allows companies that can make our lives more convenient and allow society to evolve at a faster pace. Bottom line, these charts show the impact that the internet has on our lives. It may be the biggest invention this world has ever seen. Not just because of its importance and impact, but because of all the disruption it has allowed.